eVisit Technical Solutions
The eVisit application has the ability to perform an Equipment Test after a provider, patient (or guardian) enrolls and anytime thereafter. The automated test takes approximately three minutes, depending upon internet speeds, and will ensure that the minimum computer, device, camera, microphone, audio and internet speed requirements are met.
It is recommended that providers run this Equipment Test immediately preceding their first eVisit that is conducted on the computer or device each day. You will want to be certain that your camera, audio and microphone have not been disabled since your last eVisit experience on that computer or device. You will also want to be sure that your internet connectivity meets minimum requirements as that can vary as well, depending upon your location and internet service stability. The Equipment Test can be started after you log in to your eVisit account, by selecting the drop down arrow to the right of your profile photo and name in the upper right hand corner. Next simply select “Equipment Test”, the Equipment Test will start testing your equipment and network, and after a short period will provide the results.
It is recommended that patients (or their guardians) also perform an Equipment Test before each subsequent eVisit after enrolling the first time. They will access the Equipment Test the same way as a provider, by clicking on the drop down arrow to the right of their name and profile photo, and selecting “Equipment Test”.
- Intel i3 or AMD Quad Core processor minimum
- 4 GB RAM minimum for an eVisit-dedicated machine or 8 GB RAM minimum for a multi-purpose machine
- Camera (HD 1080p resolution recommended)
- Laptop computers, mobile tablets and smartphones are typically equipped with microphone, speakers and camera. Most laptops come equipped with these embedded devices, but they can also be added separately and connected via USB port or Bluetooth.
- Most laptops, mobile tablets and smartphones have decent built-in cameras, but older devices may not have cameras with the best resolution for telehealth visits.
- Desktops typically do not have built-in cameras, and an external camera will need to be added.
- A separate, external high-definition camera may be purchased for approximately $50, and connected via USB port). Here is a quick list of great high-resolution cameras.
- Note: Ensure your camera doesn’t have a physical cover blocking it.
- Most laptops, mobile tablets and smartphones have decent built-in microphones that are adequate.
- Desktops may not have built-in microphones.
- If needed, an inexpensive external microphone will also work. Here is a quick list of great external microphones (published in 2023 - Laptop Magazine).
- Most laptops, mobile tablets and smartphones have decent built-in audio speakers that will be adequate.
- Some desktops will have sufficient built-in audio speakers, but some will require external speakers to be connected.
- If needed, a set of external speakers can be purchased for under $100 and connected via USB port or Bluetooth. Here is a quick list of great external speakers (published in 2023 - PC Magazine).
- Note: You may get echo/feedback if the speaker and microphone are different physical devices.
- Windows 7 or higher
- macOS 10.12 or higher
- Many providers choose to split their one laptop or desktop screen simultaneously between EHR and eVisit.
- Some providers may prefer an additional monitor, so that OP/EHR is on their laptop/desktop, and eVisit screen is on another monitor (approx. $150 per monitor)
Mobile device options:
- Any iOS device newer than 3 years old, and running iOS 8 or higher.
- Any Android device newer than 2 years old, and running Android 4.4 or higher.
- This is highly dependent upon other network-intensive applications running at the site. With no other network processing, eVisit recommends a minimum of 3 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload. Though be aware that in today’s US bandwidth market, a download speed as low as 1.5 Mbps is often (though not always) symptomatic of degraded network connectivity which may result in low video quality.
- In addition to internet speed, users must also have an internet connection that allows certain types of audio and video traffic. To verify that your connection works properly, use the network test.
- For computers (Windows, macOS, and Linux): eVisit can be run in a Google Chrome, Firefox Mozilla as well as in Safari and Microsoft Edge browsers. We recommend browsers be kept updated to the current version available for optimal performance.
- For mobile device tablets (iPads, Samsung tablets, etc.) and smartphones, eVisit can run on mobile-web browsers (Safari and Chrome for Apple & Chrome/Firefox for Android) as well as the free eVisit app found in the Apple and Google Play Stores, or on an eVisit-powered app found in those stores.
*Please note that mobile & web browsers sometimes have issues with the audio/video technology used by eVisit. If at all possible, using a mobile app may offer an improved experience.