A patient can be charged immediately after the visit, or you or your billing department (admin) can process the charge later.
Charge a Patient in eVisit
When a provider completes a visit, there is the option to charge the patient immediately or process the charge later.
Note that only completed visits can be charged. If a visit was canceled or a patient did not attend their appointment, you cannot charge for it. Additionally, once a patient has been charged for a visit, the visit can’t be charged again.
Process a Charge Immediately After a Visit
After completing a visit with a patient, you can charge their credit card immediately before moving on to your next appointment.
To charge a patient immediately following a visit, follow these steps:
- In the visit side panel, click the Payments tab $
- Then, in the “Amount to charge” field, enter the fee for the visit
- Click Charge
A green checkmark will display in the Paid column of the patient’s visit row, indicating they have been charged for the visit.
Process the Charge at a Later Time Within eVisit
Sometimes, you or a staff member cannot charge a patient immediately after their visit. Fortunately, eVisit provides an easy way to locate these uncharged visits and complete the billing process.
Note that once a patient has been charged for a visit, the visit can’t be charged again, nor can the amount charged be altered.
- To begin, log in to your eVisit account
- Click the Visit History
- By default, visits are listed in reverse chronological order; use the filters above the list to search for a specific visit
You can filter by Date Range (Fig. 6), Providers, Visit Time, Visit Status, Visit Kind, and Chart Actions (Fig. 7). Visits that have a successful payment attached to them will have a green checkmark in the Paid column (Fig. 5).
- On the right side of the visit row, click the See More icon
- Click the Payment icon
- In the “Amount to charge” field, enter the fee for the visit, then click Charge
The amount charged will be displayed. Return to your visit history page, and you'll see a green check mark in that visit's Paid column (Fig. 5).
Process the Charge at a Later Time in Admin
If you prefer to have an administrator process charges, they will do this way:
- From the admin dashboard, click the Visits tab
- Locate the visit that needs to be charged by sorting or using the filter menu at the right of the page
- At the far right of the visit row, click View to open the details of the visit
- Locate and click the Payments tab
- Click New Visit Payment
- Enter the amount to charge, then click Charge
- When the charge has been processed successfully, the payment information will display under the Visit Payments header
Still have questions?
We’re here to help! Please contact eVisit Technical Support at (928) 297-2294 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.